Tuesday, July 6, 2010

...but we are not the same church that had those things before

I really enjoyed reading Clay Shirky’s book, Here Comes Everybody. Maybe it was because it was such a nice break from the normal theological texts, but it was also such a fresh perspective on all of the changes that technology has brought to our society. There are many thoughts from the book that I could comment on, but I’m drawn to the quote that Shirky included.

“Everyone knows, or ought to know, that there has happened under us a Tectonic Plate Shift […] the political parties still have the same names; we still have a CBS, an NBC and a New York Times; but we are not the same nation that had those things before” (22).

What if we rephrased it like this: The churches still have the same names; we still have the 10 Commandments, the Apostles’ Creed and the Reformation; but we are not the same church that had those things before.”

Social media hasn’t changed everything that we do in the church and I don’t think it ever will, but we have to acknowledge that it has changed some things. Working in youth and young adult ministry, I certainly know that I don’t do my job the same way that I did it ten years ago. Not only do I never send out mailings like I used to, but now I have to publicize events on Facebook, e-mail and through lots of text messages.

Is it easier to get people together? Sometimes. If I need to find one worship assistant the day before the service I can text eight kids and I’m bound to get at least one person lined up. But sometimes not. Now, if I’m planning an event I can’t create just one simple postcard and mail it out to homes. Instead, I have to send Facebook messages, create a Facebook event, send e-mails (to kids and parents) and then send out text messages before the actual event as reminders. Social media might be more efficient and occasionally make things easier…but it isn’t always easier on me!

Regardless of the benefits, Jesus might be the same, but as the church we certainly can’t do all things the same.

4 comments:

  1. That was really interesting how you turned that quote around. I think that is absolutely true. The world is changing fast, and churches have to change with it. It was also important to acknowledge that there are many things in church that are steady. We aren't changing everything, but we do have to be aware of the consequences. What I liked about Shirky's book was that he said this isn't just a change in how we approach technology, this is a shift in the tectonic plates. It's more than just being able to do Facebook, texting, etc. It's a whole different way of approaching life.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing these concrete examples of your experience. Not having as active a role in a church context right now, I've been wondering how some of this might affect people like you in various specific situations. It's certainly another of those issues where we have to do what it takes to "translate" the gospel into a particular context, and social media and other technology is undeniably part of our context now. But it's interesting to hear just how that works for you, and some of the pros and cons of the various approaches you've used over time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the implication in your post that we can no longer do ministry together with blinders on to the way the world is changing around us. We are not church inside of our walls, but church in the world. This world is constantly changing and so must we. I appreciate the realization that not all has to change, and there are some things, like the love of God, that are constant. Blessings on what looks like a very fun week with the family!

    ReplyDelete
  4. God has a mission. The mission has a church. The church needs to respond to the needs of the world and God's action in it. I think of this statement from our Mission class so often, and I appreciate your post and how we can rethink the changing world... and the changing church.

    We need to take responsibility and learn ways to engage with people in the church. It doesn't mean to leave anyone out, but rather to be sure that everyone is in! It isn't more work, it is just being a part of a different groove.

    I would guess that it is WAY faster to update the facebook page and send a group text than it was to stick mailing labels and stamps on postcards. And, there is a little part of me who says- think of the money savings!

    ReplyDelete