Monday, July 12, 2010

Blogging...a gift in life and in death

Yesterday my mom and dad lost one of their best friend's to cancer. Sue was diagnosed with brain cancer nearly four years ago, and though I didn't know her well, I was able to learn life lessons from her about living and dying because of the blog that she kept documenting her journey. While Sue was alive, the blog was a wonderful way for her family and friends all over the country to stay updated on her journey. Now that she is gone, what a beautiful gift this blog is to those that loved her. Not only can they dwell in the words of prayer and support offered from those that love them, but they will forever have Sue's words and thoughts before them. Blogging...what a gift.

2 comments:

  1. That is so special for Sue and her family to have taken that journey. But, I can't help but be sad that it had to take such a tragic event o start that journey into glory. But, on the other hand, what a wonderful tool that technology became to the family and friends. Perhaps this will be the true heart of what technology will mean to us. Some of the blogs we've done feel rather artifical, which is okay because it gives us a doorway into this technology. But where real fellowship and faith was carried out was when technology gave them a glimpse into where faith and life have intersected. It is something to contemplate...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Along these same lines I came across a site that allowed for memorial comments to be shared about someone who passed away. Now what was so great about the site is that it was based near to where I was raised as a child. I have not been back since I left many years ago to go to undergrad. I looked at facebook and said that is not the place I want to connect to people back there, but this memorial site just blew me away. I read about some really great friends of mine growing up who had passed away due to cancer and other various diseases. It was not so much reading about their death but what they had been up to and to reconnect to a part of my youth. I am not sure if any of that makes any sense. But these blogs and timeless moments that allow people to read and reread and last forever just seems to be one place I find God at work. Humbling, comforting, loving, and sharing!

    ReplyDelete