Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Learning Goals

The learning goal that I have chosen to work on during this class is Skill Competency 3e, “capable of engaging at least one pressing contemporary learning challenge from within a faith community framework.” One of the suggested learning challenges is media culture. While that seems like an easy choice for this course, it also is congruent with one of my goals at the congregation I serve at.

I’ve wanted to create a Facebook page for my congregation for some time, but it wasn’t until I started the reading for this course, specifically the text, Here Comes Everybody, that I decided to just do it. Actually, to be more accurate I asked a few other staff members, “How much trouble am I going to be in if I just create a Facebook page for us?” There was at least one hesitant staff member that was quick to throw out some of the negative things that could arise because of it (such as lack of control over user posted content), but since the answer to my question wasn’t, “a lot,” I just went ahead and did it. (By the way, the hesitant staff member is also not comfortable using any type of social media – professionally or personally.) I read a great blog recently entitled, “Simple Social Scheduling for your Church's Facebook Fan Page“ that I highly recommend reading if you might be thinking of doing the same thing.

I’ll reflect at the end of the course about how my goals have/have not been achieved through our Facebook page. Until then, I’d welcome any comments: www.facebook.com/zumbrolutheran.


No comments:

Post a Comment